Thursday, April 3, 2008

Canoeing on the Santa Fe River

This past weekend I went on my first camping trip! It was actually really fun! I honestly didn't know how I would handle the whole experience because I am sort of a wimp when it comes to creepy crawly things and bugs! The first night I did refuse to take a shower at the campground because there was a huge shower in the bathroom, but the next night after being on the river all day I felt gross enough to suck it up! I was very proud of myself!!
On Saturday I went on my first canoeing trip, and I must say it was quite an adventure!! We canoed for 6 hours down the Santa Fe River, but surprisingly it wasn't as tiring as I thought it would be. About 30 minutes into the trip we saw a 5 feet alligator up on the bank! Of course the guys with us wanted to get closer and try to see it move, so needless to say we went closer! Instead of going up the bank like the guys thought it would, the alligator jumped into the water 5 feet away from our canoe!!! I almost had a heart attack!!! This was just the beginning of the events that were to unfold.

This was getting a little too close for comfort!

My reaction when the alligator jumped into the water!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

That was a big gator. It looked like it was going to jump into the boat. Great action shot.